Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 14:33:02 -0400
From:      Dave Chapeskie <freebsd@ddm.wox.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strange results with increased net.inet.ip.intr_queue_maxlen

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 11:56:32AM -0400, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> Is it better to drop
> packets when the queue is full and let the various applications behind me
> figure it out, or is it better to add some latency at the network layer so
> the apps dont have to  deal with it.

If you find yourself hitting the queue limit I'd suggest using RED or
GRED with ipfw to drop packets more intelligently before the hard limit
is hit.  I'd only increase the the queue to avoid dropping packets
during short bursts of activity.  If the traffic is steady then raising
the queue does nothing useful and adds latency.

--
Dave Chapeskie
OpenPGP Key KeyId: 3D2B6B34