Date:      Fri, 02 Oct 1998 17:54:35 +1000
From:      Jim Mock <jim@phrantic.phear.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   cd-rom and soundblaster help

Hi all,

I've got two problems I need help with.. the first is my cd-rom drive.
When I try to mount it, I get the following error..

[root@rain:~]# mount /cdrom
mount: /dev/wcd0c: Input/output error

I get the same error if I try to mount it with mount_cd9660.  It's an atapi
cd-rom and the devices exist in /dev and it's detected..

wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
wdc1: unit 1 (atapi): <GCD-R580B/1.05>, removable, accel, dma, iordis
wcd0: 171/1367Kb/sec, 128Kb cache, audio play, 255 volume levels, ejectable
tray
wcd0: 120mm audio disc loaded, unlocked, lock protected

I checked the FAQ and can't find anything about it.. am I doing something
wrong when trying to mount it?

My second problem is with my soundblaster.  I compiled it into the kernel,
made the snd0 devices and it's recognized..

sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
sb0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>

but I still can't get any sound.  Nothing else is on irq 5, so I don't
think it's an irq conflict.  I have x11amp installed and tried playing a
mp3 and it core dumps with the following message..

Oct  2 17:04:59 rain /kernel: PCM device 0 not installed.
Oct  2 17:05:00 rain /kernel: pid 259 (x11amp), uid 1001: exited on signal
11 (core dumped)

I assumed I needed to add device pca0 to the kernel, but when I tried to
recompile it died with a bunch of soundblaster errors.  I assume I can
compile both devices in (sb0 and pca0) but when I try the compile dies.. (I
tried 4 times).. any ideas on what might be happening here?  Am I totally
off with this stuff?  It's becoming more of I want sound so I know how to
get everything working instead of I want sound so I can hear it :-)  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim

|=> Jim Mock [jim@thunder.st0rm.com] [jim@phrantic.phear.net]	<=|
|=> st0rm Internet Services | web: http://www.st0rm.com/	<=|
|=> Website Design & Hosting | Wagga Wagga, NSW Australia	<=|