Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 12:47:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Kramer <david@thekramers.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Linux or Solaris

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:

> This is of course a question of personal taste, but I would
> probably choose FreeBSD. On small or medium size networks and on
> x86 hardware I find it hard to beat fbsd's performance.
> Linux is gaining performance wise, they have made some
> significant improvements lately, but Linux still gives me an icky
> feeling. I just cant sleep well at night if I have to trust Linux
> to run my servers.

I'm curious about this.  Performance is something that can be measured,
but what about Linux makes you feel "icky"?

I ask, because I'm going to be building a new server at home in a few
weeks (firewall/ipmasq/web/mail/ftp/ssh/couple users).  I'm a long-time
Linux user, but now I'm using FreeBSD a lot from work.  I've been
considering using FreeBSD instead of Linux for the new server, but I'm
having trouble finding *recent* *objective* advantages to one over the
other.  For instance, I know the FreeBSD TCP/IP stack was much tighter and
more secure in the past, but I don't know if that's still the case.

So I would be interested in hearing any objective advantages of FreeBSD
over Linux.

DISCLAIMER: I just signed up for about 8 of the FreeBSD mailing lists a
few days ago to try to get a handle on this.  This question may be more
appropriate for -advocacy, but I haven't seen a single post on there, so I
don't know whether it's really alive or not.  If I really should post
there, though, please correct me.

Thanks.
DDDD   David Kramer         david@thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD       "The water was not fit to drink.
DKK D       To make it palatable, we had to add whiskey.
DK KD       By diligent effort, I learned to like it."
DDDD                                     - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)