Date:      Wed, 04 Jun 2008 18:07:47 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   mystery: lock up after fs dump

I wouldn't report this if not for one coincidence (which is described
below). I have too little facts, so this is more of a mystery problem
tale than a real problem report.

There are two systems:
1. old, slow, i386, UP, 7-STABLE
2. new, fast, amd64, MP, 6.3-RELEASE

Systems are located at different physical locations.

What is common between them:
1. they both have the same backup strategy where dumps of certain levels
are performed on certain days; there are monthly dumps of level 2 (on
first day of each month), weekly dumps of level 4 (each Sunday) and
daily dumps of levels > 5 (each day except for Sunday - but including
the firsts).
dumps are done on live filesystems using -L.
dumps are initially done to the same disk and only later are transfered
to archive media.
2. both kernels are compiled with softupdates support but there are no
filesystems with it enabled
3. both systems have root partition gmirror-ed, it is dumped
4. both systems have gjournal support (on 6.X it is added via a
"non-official" patch), there are gjournaled filesystems on both systems
and they are dumped.

On June 1 (Sunday) exactly the same thing happened on both systems.
At 4AM monthly level 2 dump was started and successfully performed.
At 5AM weekly level 4 dump was started.
Somewhere in the process of it system locked up.
When I physically accessed the systems I found the following: keyboard
didn't respond[*], screen froze, no pings. After reset I found that logs
stopped being updated at some timer shortly after 5AM.
[*] - although on amd64 system I was able to switch exactly once between
virtual terminals (actually from X terminal to console terminal). But
that's all, no led responses, no special combinations (like break to
debugger - it is compiled in / enabled).

This coincidence in details (and that one successful VT switch) lead me
to believe that this was some lock up in kernel rather than a hardware
problem. Also, I use that backup scheme for almost a year and never had
such a problem before. I just checked and this was the first time that
the 1st of a month fell on Sunday, so this was the first time when level
2 dump was followed by level 4 dump. In previous months it was followed
by level > 6 dumps.

All in all, quite strange.

--
Andriy Gapon