Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 08:51:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        Al Johnson <Al.Johnson@ajc.state.net>
Cc:        "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <metcalf@nospam.snet.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q: How do I run remote xterm on my local X11 server??

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Al Johnson wrote:

> One quick but insecure method is to do:
> xhost +{hostname}
> to allow anyone on this host access.

	Nooooooo!!!  Don't use xhost like this if at all possible.  It
grants permission to connect to your X server to anyone with an account
on the remote system.

> You can also do xhost +user@host to be a little
> more restrictive.

	This is the only way to go if you use xhost.

> I haven't jumped into the xauth stuff yet
> since I didn't relish the thought of moving cookies
> about.

	xauth is definitely what you want.  But since it is a pain to
interact with manually, I sugguest you pick up the xrsh-5.x package from
ftp.x.org:/contrib.  It uses xauth by default, although it does support
xhost.

	xrsh is..., well, it's like rsh but for X.  e.g. "xrsh remotehost"
starts up an xterm running on remotehost with the DISPLAY variable
automatically set.  "xrsh remotehost xcdplayer" starts xcdplayer on
remotehost using your local X server as the display.

	It has other nice feature like setting the name of your xterms to
include the name of the host running it, so I use it as my primary manes
of logging into remote hosts.

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,