Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 96 15:43:16 PST
From:      "Brett Glass" <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hacked kernel with option to disable "green" mode

> Actually "fixing" the problem requires making the driver aware of drive
> spin downs and making it deal with it transparently instead of screwing
> up by passing an error to higher level code.

This is one way to solve the problem. However, disabling spindowns is also
a viable solution. Why not offer both?

> Disabling the spindown is not what I'd call "making the code 'green
> aware'"...

No, but it is both a performance enhancement and a way to ensure that
things work.

That's why I'd propose using config flags -- so that the system will be
able to perform adequately during installation and immediately thereafter
-- AND a utility that could change the setting later on. Both could be
based on some of the kernel hacking I've already done here.

--Brett