Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 10:23:34 +1000
From:      "Brendan Byrne" <brendan@tioki.com.au>
To:        "FreeBSD Mail List" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Howard Picken" <hpicken@our.net.au>
Subject:   RE: a bit of help with hosts

> I have Windows units on the network (TCP/IP) and mine has Apache,
> MySQL and PHP installed and running (named localhost).
>
> I would like to keep my unit running as is but I would like
> to duplicate the configuration on the FreeBSD box (named bsdbox).

I don't know much about what you need to do, but it is a start.
I can suggest that you want to change the name of your windows 'localhost'
machine. Perhaps to winhost.home.net 'localhost' is usually an alias on unix
for the loopback device (when it needs to talk to it's self.) This could
cause problems. What is the full entry of your /etc/hosts file? It could
look something like:

# /etc/hosts
#IP			hostname			alias
127.0.0.1		localhost.home.net	localhost
192.168.1.1		bsdbox.home.net		bsdbox
192.168.1.100	winbox.home.net		winbox

I guess that you would need to tell the windows box about the BSD box too.

I am not so sure about the resolv.conf file config but it shows the address
of where to send packets that are not for the 'local' network, (in the above
example, if they are not for the 192.168.1.*)
On our BSD dial-up host, the /etc/resolv.conf is similar to (names and
addresses changed):

# /etc/resolv.conf
domain	home.net
nameserver	127.0.0.1

I think there may be some more that you need to do to apache and I don't
know anything about mysql for unix...

Good Luck!
Brendan