Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 1997 14:48:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        adkin003@gold.tc.umn.edu
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, adkin003@gold.tc.umn.edu
Subject:   Re: 4M pages and XFree3.3 32 bit mode and crash

> Hi,
>
> Since the changes in the VM subsytem to use 4M pages, X dies when loading
> a background in 24 and 32 bit mode.
>
> Initially I thought this might just be an SMP problem, but I had the same
> failure with a UP kernel. The SVGA server only supports linear address and
> MMIO so I couldn't try it with those features shut off.
>
> It appears that when the Xserver maps a region larger than 4M,
> pmap_addr_hint rounds addr to the next 4M boundary which causes the crash.
> Comment out pmap_addr_hint and the Xserver run fine in 32 bit mode.

I use the XF86_SVGA server V3.3 also, and have checked operation with it.
However, I use the Matrox Millenium board, and the board that you use
might be different.  Which board are you using? so I can inspect the code
so that I can figure out what is happening.  I think that I'll have a new
commit ready, due to another oversight also.

John