Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 19:50:20 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@laserfence.net>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        Chip Morton <tech_info@threespace.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [burnscharlesn@hotmail.com: Advocacy help for CS professor]

Have you tried Konqueror?

It comes with 2.0 and up version of the KDE desktop. Although I'm not one
for GUIs, I must say it impresses me.

One feature I particularly like is the ability to change the user agent
string it sends, per webpage.

My internet banking facility uses a web page which blatantly refuses users
access until the user agent string contains the magic IE version reply,
mostly because they know they use broken HTML. With the right setting
applied, it works fine in Konqueror though...

Konqueror even has fully working java and javascript support (although for
java you have to download the enormous file from Sun). It is also binary
compatible with Netscape plugins from Windows and Linux.

The Kmail client is more or less as user friendly as MS's abomination..
althogh I still prefer my pine and my lynx, I might just be a stuck up old
console relic.

Will

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Eric Anderson wrote:

> Chip Morton wrote:
>
> > I disagree with this one.  I would pay cash to have Internet Explorer on
> > FreeBSD.  It would probably cut down significantly on my Windows use.
> >
> > My experience is that IE renders pages faster than any other browser I've
> > used recently (except Lynx) and I never find myself wondering if a page
> > will display correctly.  It handles with ease all the "standards-compliant"
> > pages that I've seen.  Mozilla, on the other hand, seems to gobble up as
> > much RAM as you have before it goes for your swap space.  Konqueror is
> > sweet, but it still doesn't display *all* the pages I visit the way they
> > were meant to be seen.
> >

> I think the problem is that when MS created IE, they intentionally made it
> NOT follow all the standards, and then made software that created web pages that
> also didn't follow the standards (but broke the rules the MS way).  Netscape
> didn't follow those broken rules, and since a huge population of web designers
> are Windows addicts, they used Windows tools, which used the easily
> implementable IE libraries and made broken html, Netscape appeared to be the one
> that was "broken".  There are numerous sites that work fine in IE but do not
> work in Netscape or Opera, or any other browser I could find.  Rendering pages
> faster?  Sure, probably because they render / correct as the page downloads, and
> Netscape doesn't, but I agree with you here.  Netscape, IE, Mozilla, all suck.
> If there was a browser out there that did everything IE/Netscape do (including
> the GUI email client), I'd pay for it hands down.  Opera is close, but no cigar.
>
> Eric
>

> > Of course, I realize that a person's assessment of a web browser is only as
> > good as the pages he tends to visit, so opinions are sure to vary here.
> >
> > << Chip Morton >>

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message

Willie Viljoen
Private IT Consultant

214 Paul Kruger Avenue
Universitas