Date:      Tue, 8 Feb 2005 11:15:37 -0700
From:      Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC <chad@shire.net>
To:        "Henry Miller" <hmiller@intradyn.com>
Cc:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Subject:   Re: Electricity bill - OT

On Feb 8, 2005, at 10:54 AM, Henry Miller wrote:

> [...]

The data I saw a year or two ago showed that these were more energy
efficient than the standard model of waiting for a minute or two for
the hot water to purge the colder water from the pipes.  It has added
benefits, and the benefits may be related to this (ie, constantly
circulating water means you run it less which may be where the savings
come in).  I do not have the data in front of me now, but it was an
interesting proposition.  And more energy efficient.  Not a gimmick.

>>> those have been around for at least 20 years.  As most of them are
>>> electric, not natural gas, your going to pay more money for heating
>>> water with a bunch of those than with a central gas water heater.
>>>

>> The ones I have seen, the newer models, are GAS and are very
> efficient.
>>  Maybe you need to get out more?
>
> I've seen both types.  Both have been around for 20 years.

Computers have been around about 50 years, but to compare todays
computers to those of 50 years go is ridiculous.   Do you not think
that mayb e hot water technology has advanced some in 20 years?

>  Electric
> ones seem more common, but to replace a tank type water heater you need
> 80 amp service to it, which is difficult to work with so few people
> have or use them.

I was specifically refering to new technology, I believe gas based,
tankless water heaters that are more energy efficient and can lower
your energy needs.  To compare this to 20 year old technology is
foolish.

Chad