Date:      Sun, 25 May 2008 20:01:42 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <perryh@pluto.rain.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: non-RAID SATA

SATA is faster than PCI.  Most people would replace the motherboard
or use a USB 2.0 card which has a far faster transfer speed than
PCI does as a transition, with the expectation that sooner or
later they are going to replace the system.

> All mentions of SATA in the hardware guide and FAQ seem to be of
> RAID controllers, or else too generic to guide a choice of add-in
> cards.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this that they would be
> inclined to share?

In automotive terms your adding a free-flow exhaust to a restricted
engine - in the trade we call them adding a "fart can" because
they do nothing to help the car go faster since there's restrictions
further up the chain.

Go buy an inexpensive USB 2.0 external disk case, then buy your
SATA disk and stick it inside of that, with the idea that eventually
your going to get a faster machine you might be able to use the disk in.

Ted