Date:      Sun, 5 Jul 1998 01:54:06 +1000 (EST)
From:      Gary Roberts <garyr@amor.wcs.uq.edu.au>
To:        tom@uniserve.com (Tom)
Cc:        dcooper@fvt.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions on the subject buildworld subject

Tom writes :-

> On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Dan Cooper wrote:
>
> > I have been building/installing the world for the first time, updating 2.2.6
> > release to 2.2-stable, following the directions in the tutorial by Nik
> > Clayton (http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.uk/make-world/make-work.html) ,
> > and I have a couple of questions.

In case others are trying to check out that URL, the correct value is:-

  http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html
                                    ^^                               ^^

Since there is other interesting info there you might like to use
  http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/index.html
and follow the links.

> > Also, the post install step discusses updating the configuration files in
> > /etc, /usr, and /var.  The tutorial recommends creating a dummy directory,
> > installing the new /etc and other files, and then going through and
> > comparing each new file with its old counterpart to see if there are any
> > changes.  My question:  is there an easier way of doing this?  Is there a
> > list of important revisions to configuration files somewhere?  I'm still
> > poking my way through each file trying to judge what is important or not.
>
>   I'd just ignore this step.  Updating /etc is not important, unless there
> are specific compatibility changes required (like the /etc/fstab change
> sometime ago).  So don't update /etc/ unless you know of some reason why
> you need to.  I've got some 2.2-stable machines running with /etc from
> 2.2-RELEASE (the old /etc/sysconfig stuff).

Of course the counter point is that as time goes by you get more and more
out of sync with what the mainstream is doing.  Rather than ignoring the
changes, why not back up your current /etc (just the bits you have
customised really) and do a recursive diff on the old and the new and
merge your customisations into the new.  Its a bit of a pain when you
have left it for a while but it's a good self-teaching exercise on how
everything works :-).  I thought that the tutorial covered all the
options rather well and gave sensible suggestions to ease the pain.

Cheers,
--
Gary Roberts            (garyr@wcs.uq.edu.au)