Date:      Fri, 04 Oct 2002 14:53:28 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@hackerheaven.org>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, n0go013 <ttz@blahdeblah.demon.co.uk>, current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [ GEOM tests ] disklabel warnings and vinum drives lost

Emiel Kollof wrote:
> * Peter Wemm (peter@wemm.org) wrote:
> > vinum is so much unbelievable stuff in it.  Consider this stuff:
> >
> > sys/dev/vinum/vinumio.c:

[ ... ]

> > This crud has *got* to be taken out and shot, then reworked to do it
> > properly.
>
> Amen! (and no, I'm not volunteering. I don't mind cleaning up code, but there
> are limits to what crud I touch)

FWIW:

The comment right before that code is:

    /*
     * Yes, Bruce, I know this is horrible, but we
     * don't have a root file system when we first
     * try to do this.  If you can come up with a
     * better solution, I'd really like it.  I'm
     * just putting it in now to add ammuntion to
     * moving the system to devfs.
     */

...basically, when devfs became default, the person who made it
default did not maintain this code, when they converted everything
else over to using it.

The assumption here is that the devfs will be available to the
system before the root is mounted transparently over it.  This is
also doable with an unmounted instance of the backing devfs, not
yet mounted on /dev, if a transparent mount of / over top of a
preexiting / -> /dev is not supported (i.e. devfs is mounted on
/dev on the root FS, rather than the root FS being mounted on a
backing node on which defvfs is already mounted on /, and the
devices showing through as if they were on /).

I think the major problem with the Vinum code is that it isn't
very readable in an 80 column editor window with 8 column tabs,
but that's pretty much the worst you can say about it, other than
the code has not been maintained by the people changing subsystems
out from under it.

Another alternative is to disable support for mounting vinum
plexes as the root filesystem, which is what this code supposedly
supports.

-- Terry