Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2007 21:12:33 -0800
From:      "Kevin Downey" <redchin@gmail.com>
To:        "Olivier Nicole" <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Secure remote shell

On Nov 28, 2007 8:28 PM, Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Part of (un)registerings users on my system consists in connecting to
> various servers to add the user account to some services:
>
> Registering users is done wia a web page, and the web server will
> remote execute a script on the mail server to add the users in the
> aliases and run newaliases, remote execute a script to the radius
> server to add the user in the radius tables and restart radius, etc.
>
> Of course all the remote execution should be done as root :(
>
> So far, one specific user from the web server can rsh -l root to the
> various other servers to do what needs to be done. But this is not
> quite satisfactory.
>
> What other solution would you suggest to execute a shell remotely as
> root, that could be automated in a script (no password required).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Olivier

ssh using key authentication and sudo configured to allow a certain
user to run the needed commands and only the needed commands as root.
http://www.gratisoft.us/sudo/
http://sial.org/howto/openssh/publickey-auth/

--
The Mafia way is that we pursue larger goals under the guise of
personal relationships.