Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 11:57:54 -0800
From:      Eric M Logan <eric_m_logan@yahoo.com>
To:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ports vs. packages...

    Can anyone tell me if there's any advantage(s) to installing
applications from the ports collection as opposed to just using the
available packages.  This is of course, aside from the ability to
manipulate a variable or two or when there are no precompiled binaries
available.  It just seems to me that using packages is so much quicker
and more convenient.  Would compiling from the ports collection
implement some enhancements for your particular processor for instance?
Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.