Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 06:53:44 -0600
From:      Thrumbar Pathfinder <Thrumbar@Worldnet.att.net>
To:        freebsd-install@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Miled Tezeghdanti <Miled.Tezeghdanti@irisa.fr>
Subject:   Re: Problems to create boot & root floppies

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 11:26:22 +0100, you wrote:

You have to do the images in dos (not windows or windows dos box)..
This is because in dos a 1.44 meg floppy reader as 1.44 megs in size,
but in Windows it reads as a 1.39 megs in size.....  You can check
this out by compairing the size in Windows and DOS yourself..

In the recent releases of FreeBSD the images are created with fdimage
instead of rawrite.  This is the instruction from my Distributation
disk...

=46or a normal CDROM or network installation, all you need to copy onto
actual floppies from this directory are the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp
images (for 1.44MB floppies).

Get two blank, freshly formatted floppies and image copy kern.flp
onto one and mfsroot.flp onto the other.  These images are NOT DOS
files!  You cannot simply copy them to a DOS or UFS floppy as
regular files, you need to "image" copy them to the floppy with
fdimage.exe under DOS (see the tools/ directory on your CDROM or
=46reeBSD FTP mirror) or the `dd' command in UNIX.

=46or example:

To create the kern floppy image from DOS, you'd do something like
this:

C> fdimage kern.flp a:

Assuming that you'd copied fdimage.exe and kern.flp into a directory
somewhere.  You would do the same for mfsroot.flp, of course.

If you're creating the boot floppy from a UNIX machine, you may find
that:

        dd if=3Dfloppies/kern.flp of=3D/dev/rfd0

or

        dd if=3Dfloppies/kern.flp of=3D/dev/floppy

work well, depending on your hardware and operating system environment
(different versions of UNIX have totally different names for the
floppy drive - neat, huh? :-).

If I am correct the fdimage is an inproved way to make the boot floppy
instead of using rawrite....  This is the way FreeBSD uses so the use
of rawrite is no longer applicable...

Thrumbar@Worldnet.att.net