Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 22:23:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jason Hunt <jhunt@lynden.on.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mv vs. tar

On Wed, 29 May 2002, Peter Leftwich wrote:

> When moving a large directory (hoping to preserve ALL modification times),
> is it better/smarter to use the "mv" command, or first "tar" the directory
> then "untar" it to the new location?  Some interesting debate to follow...

I think it depends on whether the files are being moved to somewhere on
the filesystem or not.  If they are being put somewhere on a local disk or
an NFS mounted directory then mv might be faster overall because there is
no need to tar/untar.  If you want to transfer the files somewhere not in
the filesystem, such as to another machine via FTP, storage on a
filesystem that does not retain the same permisions, redistribution to
numerous other places, or archving them somewhere for backup, etc etc etc,
then tar or any other archiving utilty is good.

Hope this helps.