Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 15:15:29 -0400
From:      Lee.David@oscsystems.com
To:        Freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Multicast Packet size problem

Free BSD GURU,

I  developed an application that does multicasting.....I am trying to send
packet sizes ranging from 1000 bytes to 12,500 bytes.   My test
configuration consist of a receiver on one and a sender both FREE BSD ver
2.2.6.  I can successfully send and  receive a packet size of 1400 bytes or
less, using the system calls sendto and recvfrom.  However, I cannot seem
to get it to work for packets larger than 1400 bytes.  The symptoms of the
sender are as follow - after a hundred or more packets the sendto system
call returns an error code via the perror call of such "sendto: can not
route to host".  In addition the receiver never receives any packets at
all!!

FYI, I also found that if run the test with packet size greater than 1400
bytes, starting the same sender and receiver mention above in different
process windows on the same machine, the sender behaves the same.  However
the receiver does indeed receive all packets generated by the sender!!!

I have set up an SGI  IRIX UNIX machine as the sender and the receiver a
FREEBSD and am able to run both of the above test successfully.

Your help would be greatly appreciated, I have spent a few days looking
into this problem and am stumped.

Sincerely,

David Lee

EMail: lee.david@oscsystems.com