Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 11:14:19 -0500
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
To:        Mark Blackman <mark.blackman@netscalibur.co.uk>
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: building sparc64 bits.

Apparently, On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 09:13:25AM +0000,
	Mark Blackman said words to the effect of;

> > > There's a couple of general points I'm not clear on with
> > > respect to building code on the sparc64 port.
> > >
> > > A) Does it do self-hosted buildworlds yet, and if not, as I suspect,
> > > how close are they?
> >
> > No.  Depends on when I finish off what is needed.
> > Not being fully self-hosting is no excuse for either (1) not trying
> > FreeBSD on the platform; or (2) actually using the platform for
> > development.
>
> I couldn't agree more, having posted a dmesg.boot to the
> list last week for a Netra T1/105.  I was getting confused
> between what I saw on the mailing list and what I was able
> to achieve on my own machine. For instance, the perl-5.7.1
> build will not even finish the Configure step
> due to some hang in the step related to dynamic loader functions.
> I'm trying to calibrate my expectations, so that I can
> start testing/patching at a reasonable level.
>
> > > B) Is the current recommended practice to do all building on some
> > > handy i386 platform with cross-platform compilation capability
> > > and NFS/tftp/ftp the bits over to the sparc64 machine as required?
> >
> > No.  We have a hosted (runs on Sparc64, generates binaries for Sparc64)
> > toolchain, just not a native one that can be used in `make world'.
>
> This part is where I'm in trouble. I've downloaded the new
> hosted compiler tarball
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~obrien/sparc64/hosted-gcc_20020314.tar.bz2
>
> but its missing a complementary 'as' assembler. Which 'as' do I use?
> The one in native-uberbaum that came from the whole
> http://people.freebsd.org/~jake/sparc64/distrib-20020310.tar.bz2
> tarball? (which is the distrib I'm running on)
>
> Or one that I've built myself from some branch of the
> -CURRENT source tree?
>
> Does http://people.freebsd.org/~jake/sparc64/distrib-20020310.tar.bz2
> include the hosted toolchain you posted as
> http://people.freebsd.org/~obrien/sparc64/native-uberbaum_20020224.tar.bz2?
>
> enquiring minds want to know..
>
> I see there is now a 20020317 distrib and src under ~jake/sparc64, so I
> may have a play with those.

This has the assembler from /usr/src but there's still a problem with
the c startup libs.  I'll fix this tonight and post a new tarball.
Dynamic binaries will work but static ones don't link.  There's also
a problem with making bootable isos which has popped up since the
last one, hopefully we can get that sorted out today and I'll have
an iso similar to the last one with this snapshot on it.

Jake