Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:50:32 +0200
From:      Christoph =?utf-8?q?Hinterm=C3=BCller?= <christoph.hintermueller@fusemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install hangs in mfsroot kernel in scsi probing

Hi
I observe the following strange endless loop when booting from the=20
installation floppies on my amd duron system.

1) booting from kern disk is ok -> i do get till promt asking for mfsroot=
 disk
2) continuing with mfsroot disk gets me to promt hit return or wait 10 se=
c to=20
boot kernel.=20
3) booting kernel is ok till it prints
    scsi waiting 15 seconds for scsidevices to settle=20

    After this 15 seconds i only see a single line or two (cant tell exac=
tly)
   scrolling endlessly repeated over the screen. It semms as if probing f=
or=20
   for the non existent  scsi harddrives sends the kernel into an endless
   loop.

I have to admit i use the 53c974 scsi controller as a mor advanced and=20
extended paralleport for my mustek scsi scanner.=20

-----My Hardware and a bit more-----
Architektur : i386                                                       =
       =20
CD-ROM                                                                   =
         =20
=09CD-ROM Drive/F5E                                                      =
         =20
=09HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4082B                                             =
         =20
CPU                                                                      =
       =20
=09AMD Athlon(tm) Processor                                              =
         =20
Display                                                                  =
       =20
=09Vanta [NV6]                                                           =
         =20
Festplatte =20
=09ST340015A
=09QUANTUM FIREBALLlct20 30
Monitor
=09103050=20
Netzwerkger=C3=A4te
=093C905B Fast Etherlink XL 10/100
Speichermedium
=09Floppy-Controller
=09Bus Master IDE=20
=0953c974 [PCscsi]
TV-Karte
=09Hauppauge WinTV
Tastatur
=09PC Keyboard=20
fbdev
=09Riva TNT
ide=20
=09ST340015A
=09CD-ROM Drive/F5E
=09HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4082B
=09QUANTUM FIREBALLlct20 30
pci
=09VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133]
=09VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133 AGP]
=09VT82C686/A PCI to ISA Bridge
=09Bus Master IDE
=09VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI]
=093C905B Fast Etherlink XL 10/100=20
=0953c974 [PCscsi]
=09Hauppauge WinTV=20
=09WinTV/GO
        Vanta [NV6]

Or could it bee that my soundblaster live is not responding properly eith=
er or=20
better at all ? ( check connection to mainboard -> change slot to one nea=
rer=20
to graphics card ?

cu
Chris