Date:      Sat, 5 Jul 2008 22:36:21 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <stevefranks@ieee.org>, "Gary Kline" <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   RE: OT: anyone been crazy enough to mirror wikipedia?

Steve, the problem is that for decades the print encyclopedias
fulfilled this function.  Have you ever, for example, seen a
cite to World Book or some such in a serious professional reseach
paper?  Of course not.  They never used it.  The vast majority
of people buying those print encyclopedias were folks like you
who were using them for casual searches.

The reason the academic research community is so up in arms
over wikipedia is that all the folks like you stopped buying
the print encyclopedias when wiki came out, and the encyclopedia
publishers have all gone out of business.  Your no longer paying
some academic gatekeeper and the academics, for all their talk
about information freedom, don't like it.  Check out tuition
recently?  Now tell me college is available to any student who
wants it.  Yeah, right.  The academics want their pound of
flesh and they don't like the competition.

Ted