Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 2015 22:33:21 -0600
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
Cc:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: top, fixed buffer length in utils.c

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 09:13:23AM +0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 17:14:41 -0600
> Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 02, 2015 at 04:33:07PM -0800, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> > > Erich Dollansky wrote this message on Sun, Feb 01, 2015 at 17:51
> > > +0800:
> > >
> > > Per others, int is currently 32bits on all platforms we support...
> > >
> > > I guess adding:
> > > CTASSERT(sizeof(int) <= 4);
> > >
> > > would help fix your concern?  at least now the expectation is
> > > codified and if it breaks, the build will break..
> > >
> > > --
> > >   John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225
> > > 5579
> > >

> > If/when the size of an int ever changes from being 32 bits, top will
> > be the least of our worries!
> >
> if all dubious statements have asserts in place, nothing will be a
> worry until then.
>
> It is a very bad idea to assume a size for any type when the size can
> change between compilers.
>
> If you want, just read the old discussion regarding time_t.

Oh, I've been around since ints were 8 bits (on really old stuff) and
appreciate the issues. However my point wasn't that assuming the size is good,
but that when ints change we will have lots more serious breakage is all.

Bob

--
Bob Willcox    | You climb to reach the summit, but once
bob@immure.com | there, discover that all roads lead down.