Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 04:44:35 -0600
From:      Ben Weaver <sid67@tranquility.net>
To:        "Justin W. Pauler" <jwpauler@jwpages.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: keeping up with latest sources

You could just call somthing like this from a cron job:

CVSUP=/usr/local/bin/cvsup
CVSUP_ARGS="-g -L 2"
SUPFILE=/usr/sup/src-supfile
MAKE=/usr/bin/make
MAKE_OPTIONS=""
INSTALL_OPTIONS=""
WORLD_MAKEFILE=/usr/src/Makefile
LOGFILE=/path/to/logfile
ALERT=jwpauler@jwpages.com

if ! $CVSUP $CVSUP_ARGS $SUPFILE > $LOGFILE ; then
	echo "cvsup failed... see $LOGFILE" | mail -s "Build Failed" $ALERT
	exit 1
fi

if ! $MAKE -f $WORLD_MAKEFILE $MAKE_OPTIONS buildworld >> $LOGFILE ; then
        echo "make buildworld failed... see $LOGFILE" | mail -s "Build Failed" $ALERT
        exit 1
fi

if ! $MAKE -f $MAKEFILE $INSTALL_OPTIONS install world >> $LOGFILE ; then
        echo "make install world failed... see $LOGFILE" | mail -s "Build Failed" $ALERT
        exit 1
fi

which should cvsup then build world and install it.  Add in a few more if blocks for the kernel build and you should be good to go.

I don't know why you'd want to do an unattended merge...

-Ben