Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 23:20:38 +0200
From:      "laurens van alphen" <lva@dds.nl>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   traffic accounting for interface aliases (how?)

hiya,

we're a webdesign and hosting provider moving from linux to freebsd. while
we're really satisfied with freebsd, we'd like you ideas about traffic
accounting for interface aliases.

example:

for virtual hosting we alias up to a full c class to a single interface
using the ifconfig ed0 inet a.b.c.d netmask 0xffffffff alias command.

now we'd like to produce statistics on the amount of bytes (octets, not
packets) transferred from and to each ip individually.

thus

if:ip:octetsin:octestout
ed0:192.168.0.1:4342:3125
ed0:192.168.0.2:7654:5435
.
.
.
etc.

currently we're looking at a ucd-snmpd/mrtg solution but it seems snmp only
provides numbers for the entire interface (ed0 in this case, not every
single ip).

we use ipfw for firewalling, can i add rules for octet counting? could
someone provide examples?

what do you guys use?

cheers,

--
laurens van alphen
craxx e-consultants

-- the information contained in this communication is confidential and
may be legally privileged. it is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised to
receive it. if you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in
reliance of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and
may be unlawful. craxx is either liable for the proper and complete
transmission of the information contained in this communication nor
for any delay in its receipt.