Date:      Tue, 04 Nov 1997 11:33:34 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems after PAO -> 2.2.5 stable

> >  - the card _can't_ do it (it has no idea what IRQ is actually being
> >    generated)
>
> Is that true?  How do you know that it doesn't know which IRQ is being
> used via the driver?

I must be slow; I can only see one window here:

 - The card is supported by a driver for "normal" ISA cards.
 - The driver ignores the IRQ passed in the isa_device structure and
   instead reads an IRQ value from the card.
 - The card reports its configured IRQ based on the config index
   selected.

The obvious culprit here then is the driver, which is our problem.
Does the ep driver do this?

In any other case, how can it matter what the card thinks?  If it wants
to generate an interrupt, it has exactly one pin it can wiggle;
regardless of what it thinks the pin is connected to, it's what the
pcic does with it that matters.  I was suspecting that the pcic was
trying to be smart, but now you've shot that down, and Guido has
demonstrated that it's not a problem for him either.

mike