Date:      Mon, 6 May 2013 12:12:35 -0700
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   VirtualBox + FreeBSD 9-STABLE == Frozen Ethernet

I'm having an odd issue with FreeBSD that I'm not sure how to trace / =
where to look =85=20

I have 6 servers, all identical RAM / CPU / Ethernet / etc =85 4 of them =
are running VirtualBox, 2 are running Jails =85 one of the 4 I just =
switched from Jail -> Virtualbox =85

When running jail(s), the servers are rock solid =85 as soon as I switch =
to VirtualBox (the one I just switched is running one Vbox with a =
FreeBSD Guest) =85 nothing else is running on the server =85 but I will =
get sporadic freezes of the Ethernet.  One ran 46 days before it froze, =
then after a reboot, it happened a few hours later, now its been running =
several hours again without any issues =85

The machine itself is not frozen =85 I can connect via remote console, =
login, do ps, etc =85 so its as if the Ethernet (bce device) just went =
offline.

I was pointed to a wiki about VirtualBox, and my current loader.conf =
looks like:

=3D=3D=3D
aio_load=3D"YES"
kern.ipc.shm_use_phys=3D1
accf_http_load=3D"YES"
if_bridge_load=3D"YES"
if_tap_load=3D"YES"
hw.pci.enable_msix=3D0
vboxdrv_load=3D"YES"
net.graph.maxdata=3D65536
=3D=3D=3D

I'm running the latest version of 9-STABLE as well as the latest version =
of vBox available in ports =85 the bce device is an older version of =
Broadcom, so not dealing a new one with new features:

bce0: <Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T (B2)>

And as I say, these work great with jail'd environments ALIASed onto =
them =85

The vBox environments are all configured for network using:

--nic1 bridged --bridgeadapter1 bce1

Maybe I'm setting up the network wrong?  But, it does work for awhile =85=20=

I'm not seeing any errors on the console when the ethernet stops working =
=85 nothing to indicate an buffer overflowing or something like that =85 =
but, again, I can login and run commands, so if there is something I can =
run to get more useful details =85 ?