Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 12:15:31 +0000
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Resolving or blocking eg. doubleclick.net?

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 01:01:14PM +0100, Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 February 2003 11:22, Daniel Bye wrote:
>
> > I have just tried to resolve doubleclick.net, and the first hit took
> > around three seconds.  Thereafter, with it cachedi locally, it came back
> > in at most 0.02 seconds.  I reckon your best bet is to persevere - does
> > the cache demonstrate any advantage at all?
>
> No advantage at all. What do you mean by "persevere"?

Keep on trying!  Sounds as though you are looking at problems somewhere
other than DNS.  At a shell prompt, try

 $ time host doubleclick.net

a few times, and see what sort of reponse times you get.  As a previous
poster has said, the problem may be more to do with downloading phat
content than with getting DNS resolution.

Are you having similar problems with other DNS records?  What do you have
in /etc/resolv.conf?

> > I put my upstream (ISP's) caches in the forwarders section in named.conf.
> > While not strictly necessary, as already pointed out, it can give you the
> > advantage of tapping into a huge set of cached data on your ISP's servers.
> > Suck it and see - I cannot believe that you are the only person connecting
> > through your ISP who gets pelted with these bloody ads from doubleclick.
>
> Have added them, without seeing any difference in performance. But it does
> make my tcpdump more readable.

A happy side effect  ;-)

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \