Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2006 21:07:30 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stop/start services

--==========12A5D8CDB63D80279F32==========

--On April 12, 2006 10:30:48 PM +0100 Matthew Seaman=20
<m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> That's not quite the same thing.  Tomcat is clearly starting up and
> running perfectly well, as you show by viewing the default web page.
>
> The problem seems to be the file that should contain the tomcat pid,
> and which doesn't.  As that pid file is what the RC scripts refer to
> in order to find the process to shut down, not having the right pid
> in there will cause the effects you've been seeing. There have been
> a number of posts about this issue several months back on the
> freebsd-java@ mailing list. I believe it was a bug in the port due
> to quite a radical rethink of the way tomcat should be started up.
> According to CVS that problem was fixed in the last but one update
> to the www/tomcat55 port.  cvsup your ports and try again.

I'm not familiar with Tomcat, but rcNG has the capability of solving these=20
types of problems.  The author of the script can use check_process(${name}=20
command_interpreter) instead, so that the scripts will check the running=20
processes rather than the pidfile.

I'm working on a set of ports that require that because they are tcl=20
scripts, so the ${name} of the process is squild, but ps returns tclsh8.4=20
instead.

*If* that's the problem with Tomcat, it's fairly easily fixed.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member