Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:58:15 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Luigi Rizzo" <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>, "Josef Karthauser" <joe@tao.org.uk>
Cc:        "Rogier R. Mulhuijzen" <drwilco@drwilco.nl>, "Jonathan Graehl" <jonathan@graehl.org>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Quick question about IP aliasing

IP.

> no this is incorrect. you just have to make sure that the aliased
> IP&mask do not generate info which is already in the routing table.
> E.g. if your primary addr is 1.2.3.4/24 , an alias of 1.2.3.5/24 will
> give a warning, but an alias of 1.2.4.4/24 will not, and most likely even
> 1.2.3.5/25 will not.

I'm just reiterating what I was told 1.5 years ago when I complained that
the following setup wouldn't work:

Primary IP:  192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0
Aliased IP:  192.168.0.10/255.255.255.0

With this setup, I could not ping, traceroute or connect to the aliased IP.
In order to make the aliased IP functional, I had to use a netmask of
255.255.255.255 -- a fact which I find totally confusing and
counter-intuitive, but one that seems to work.

> > > Everybody is saying use 255.255.255.255 for an alias. Noone is giving
> > > reasons why.

Exactly.  I never got a good answer to this when I first stumbled upon it,
and I still haven't.  All I know is that this is the way it needs to be done
in order for things to work properly.

--
Matt Emmerton