Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2001 23:08:03 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        jgrosch@mooseriver.com, Bruce Meier <source@hilo.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Lets not bash Windows or M$ at every opportunity {was: FreeBSD and Microsoft}

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 03:48:54PM -0500, Frank Pawlak wrote:

> Unfortunately, this comes at a very bad time because now there is a
> bit more than a glimmer of hope that open source can begin to
> effectively compete with them, and erode their market share.

> It is really a sad state that better products like BSD and Linux
> have to fight with their hands tied behind their backs.

What fight?  Who ties their hands?  Better products than ...?
Please do not start making generalizations like those above.

If by 'better products' you mean Windows, then I'd have to be the
devil's advocate and suggest that Windows does have some good things
that Linux and/or FreeBSD don't have.  For instance, they do have
support for more multimedia file formats.  I know that we are talking
about closed, proprietary formats now, but the support is there in
Windows, and it's not in Linux or FreeBSD.  In this simple and small
part of the system (multimedia support) Windows seems to be `better'
than Linux or FreeBSD.  Therefore, I'm still at a loss at how you
defined 'better'.

Oh, and then, there's that `fight thing' and the tied hands.
Am not sure I got any point out of this, sorry...

> It is my hope that Justice will win out and slap their ass and free
> the market for us.

You had me agree there, up until 'Justice will win out'.
Yes, my hope is that Justice will win out too.

I am also afraid of seeing something bad happen, such as the Justice
Department winning Microsoft in this case, and making a habit of
stopping companies that grow `large' in their opinion.  Then as time
passes, this `large' might begin to shrink in size, and that would be
most improper.

Some things are a bit tricky :/

-giorgos