Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 14:21:59 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        "Kruppa, Peter Ulrich" <root@pukruppa.de>, Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>, Eric Colburn <ecolburn@seeitfirst.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.3 FreeBSD

Doug Young wrote:

> > > I wanted to clarify whether you "re-install" with the new release
> on
> > > CD or "up-grade" with the new release on CD.
> > Upgrading will leave your configuration-files and your applications
> > untouched, reinstalling would destroy your configs and leave your
> apps
> > alive.
> > Only when you really format or change your partitions-layout
> everything
> > will be redone.
> >
> I only tried one "upgrade" & that did mess the system up totally. Mind
> you I didn't
> read up on the ins & outs so possibly it will work with a bit of
> effort. However I've
> done so many fresh installs ...  got into the habit with Windows :)
> .....that I could
> probably do them in my sleep, and with a relatively basic setup its
> not a major
> undertaking anyway.
>

> > > If you "upgrade" what packages do you "choose" to install from the
> > > newer CD to the older release ?
>
> The only time I tried an "upgrade" I didn't get that far .... it
> crashed before that..
> > >

> I'll be building a 4.3 system as soon as I can get a 4.3 RELEASE ISO
> and I'll try
> an upgrade from 4.1 ..... will also run CVSUP on that & try a
> buildworld etc.
> Judging from the postings from people having problems that appear
> attributable to
> CVSUP though it does look like a recipe for trouble. Anyway (as we say
> in OZ)
> I'll "have a go ya mug" & if it proves to be Trouble I'll revert to
> the "install a
> RELEASE version & leave it alone til the next one" approach.

I haven't found the cvsup route a problem. Most of the problems have
been by people that didn't follow instructions. For example, the
Handbook (19.4.1) tells you to above all else pay attention to
/usr/src/UPDATING and Warner tells you to look at an archive of the
last two weeks of email from -stable before you do anything else.
Somewhere in there we have a literacy problem or a doesn't apply to me
attitude.

I am being a little bit harsh but there is a historical basis. There
were a couple of us following O'Brien's upgrades to the /binutils
during the 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade. I fired up a build according to the 3.x
rules and my run died. My compile was a little bit faster than the
other people. Warner did a gentle jab about reading UPDATING, which
told me to do things differently. I read his instructions and followed
the make buildworld and then buildkernel rule and everything was fine.
I haven't changed my approach since then.

I have a script that I fire off once we are past the release stage and
the fixes that follow it during the next two weeks. From then on I
simply run my upworld shell script, which does the cvsup and
buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, and installworld. I use a perl
program to take the cvsup.log and turn it into HTML that links to
cvsweb.cgi. You are in a center type environment and will probably
have to boot to single user mode for the installworld. I normally
don't have to on any of my systems. I am doing it everytime while 4.3
is being built. I won't automate running mergemaster. I lost my
ppp.conf the first time and my firewall the next time I did that :). I
had copies but it was a shock when things didn't work.

Kent

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com