Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2002 19:45:06 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -STABLE was stable for long time (Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?)

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Gregory Bond wrote:

> > You have chosen to maintain systems which stretch FreeBSD to its limits
> > and uncover bugs lurking in the code. This is great. But you cannot do
> > so on the one hand and refuse to face the administrative work on the
> > other hand.
>
> And this is not a FreeBSD problem either - if you are doing stressful or
> mission-critical things, then you have to put more effort into admin and
> making sure you get the right OS environment, whether you are running
> FreeBSD or Solaris or whatever.  For example, if you had Solaris boxes
> in the same job, you wouldn't just willy-nilly add Solaris patches
> without trying them on a test box....

Actually ... when I patch up a Solaris box, I apply all the patches
provided by Sun, as I expect it to be them that does the testing ... when
I upgrade to FreeBSD-STABLE, I do so *expecting* that I may have some
problems and will need to debug as a result ... but, I don't know kernel
internals, but I do know how to provide at least the *base* debugging
information to give a start ...

If I can keep my server rock-solid on -STABLE, with the load that I'm
putting onto it, there is a good chance that few others are going to be
able to crash it ... if I *can* cause it to crash, and can provide
information on that crash, I would *hope* that someone would want to act
on that to keep it from happening to someone else ...

I'm stress-testing FreeBSD in ways that, I would guess, few of the
developers have the time to do ... I'm stess-testing it in ways that few
end-users ever see ... not only am I hitting the server(s) with a very
heavy load, but its a very heavy load that is pretty steady, and by
several hundred different applications, and, in some cases, several
different versions of those applications ...