Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 2015 08:28:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Rakshith Venkatesh <vrock28@gmail.com>
Cc:        Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org,  Jordan Hubbard <jordanhubbard@icloud.com>,  Outback Dingo <outbackdingo@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: CEPH + FreeBSD
References:  <CANw0z%2BVhYCPNWrjByXLf8yO9wA0sc05_8eVJsM-McjcGNU9KQg@mail.gmail.com> <100306673.40344407.1441279047901.JavaMail.zimbra@uoguelph.ca> <1564D4FA-9BE1-4E37-8E91-F14A009D6B62@icloud.com> <838814506.1858817.1441577912291.JavaMail.zimbra@uoguelph.ca> <F5F89A87-AD10-4CD3-BF56-854EEBB4C121@longcount.org> <CAKYr3zyPxM0oKhgsNoFmkFxn6AFkekS2=ptV7Z6CicTzZvXCdw@mail.gmail.com> <8551C101-0E4B-4619-BF52-1B87BC6565D8@longcount.org> <CANw0z%2BXgzreQXUOBk11F5hOHz665WvysiLnyd35qbmxjyHT9Fw@mail.gmail.com>

Rakshith Venkatesh wrote:
> If there is a need to support cifs along with NFS then locking surely is
> needed to maintain data sanity and avoid problems due to concurrent acces=
> to files.
For my case, this doesn't affect choice of cluster file system, since the l=
ocking
is taken care of by the NFSv4.1 server. You are, however, correct that it w=
ould be really
nice to have the NFSv4.1 server working more closely with Samba (or other o=
pen source CIFS
implementations) for the Windows op locks, etc.
Right now, the NFSv4.1 server can optionally grab POSIX style advisory lock=
s on the underlying
file system so that Samba (and local syscalls) can see them.
It does nothing w.r.t. the Opens (which are basically Windows op locks, or =
whatever Samba calls them?

I'll admit I've avoided this, since I know nothing about Samba. (I'm only o=
ne retired guy doing this
in his spare time.) Soneday, it would be nice if someone who knows the Samb=
a side could work on this?

rick