Date:      Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:38:49 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Christian_Gr=FCndemann?= <mailing@libet.de>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DLT Tape Read errors on aac0

Scott Long schrieb:

> First of all, let me apologize for the mess that is the aac passthrough
> driver.  I wrote it in hopes that it would be useful, but the support
> needed for it in the aac firmware simply isn't robust enough for the
> kind of SCSI stuff that FreeBSD does.  In other words, it's a hack from
> top to bottom, and really is little more than a novelty at this point.
>
> See below...
>
> Christian Gründemann wrote:
>
>> Waah, I forgot the most important information.
>>
>> Its an  5.3-STABLE FreeBSD Operating System.
>> :-)
>> Christian
>>

>> Christian Gründemann schrieb:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am using an Adaptec SCSI RAID 2120S Card with 5 SCSI
>>> Seagate drives as a RAID-5 without any probelms for almost two years
>>> now.
>>>
>>> Last week I attached to the aac0 controller a Tandberg DLT Drive
>>> QUANTUM DLT VS160 2500 Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
>>> for large backup purposes.
>>>
>>> We decided to use dump/restore for our backup strategy but
>>> unfortunately  we can
>>> only make backups and no restores. E.g dumping a filesystem works
>>> great:
>>>
>>> root@hercules ~ dump -0aLf /dev/sa0 /var
>>>  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Tue Dec 20 15:44:05 2005
>>>  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
>>>  DUMP: Dumping snapshot of /dev/aacd0s1f (/var) to /dev/sa0
>>>  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
>>>  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
>>>  DUMP: estimated 63220 tape blocks.
>>>  DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
>>>  DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
>>>  DUMP: DUMP: 64341 tape blocks on 1 volume
>>>  DUMP: finished in 15 seconds, throughput 4289 KBytes/sec
>>>  DUMP: Closing /dev/sa0
>>>  DUMP: DUMP IS DONE
>>> root@hercules ~
>>>
>>> I guess the backup has been successfully finished.
>>>
>>> But when I try a access the backup ether via the  interactive
>>> console or
>>> by trying  to extract the data directly  I get the follwing errors
>>> in /var/log/messages
>>>
>>> root@hercules /var restore -i -f /dev/sa0
>>> tape read error: Input/output error
>>>
>>> Dec 20 15:49:22 hercules kernel: (sa0:aacp0:0:5:0): READ(06). CDB: 8
>>> 0 0 80 0 0
>>> Dec 20 15:49:22 hercules kernel: (sa0:aacp0:0:5:0): NO SENSE ILI
>>> (length mismatch): 22528 csi:e0,40,0,20 asc:0,0
>>> Dec 20 15:49:22 hercules kernel: (sa0:aacp0:0:5:0): No additional
>>> sense information
>>

> This is very very strange, and I don't even know where to start
> guessing.  It could be either a fairly minor bug in the driver, or a
> major bug/lack of support in the firmware.
>

>>> Sometimes I often get some Timeouts (only using restore).
>>> Dec 19 11:34:27 hercules kernel: aac0: COMMAND 0xc1fdf750 TIMEOUT
>>> AFTER 51 SECONDS
>>

> This is usually a sign that the firmware either lost a command, or
> paniced all together.  Both conditions are fatal =-(

> [...]
Thanks for your fast answer, Scott! What Adaptec Card can you recommend?
I am thinking about this card, it seems to be supported quite well.
* Adaptec 19160B

Is this card a "real" SCSI card ? Actually I thought the 2120S is a "real"
SCSI Card.
And for the future, what kind of Adaptec RAID-5 card is useable where
I can put several devices on it like a Raid-5 *and* a DLT device ?

Christian