Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 04:46:07 +1100
From:      Greg Lane <gregory.lane@anu.edu.au>
To:        ann kok <annkok2001@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: samba

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 07:24:31AM -0800, ann kok <annkok2001@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> What is about CUPS in samba?
>
> Thank you

CUPS is an alternative printing system available from the ports tree
which you can use to replace the BSD lpr which comes standard with FBSD.

If you have installed CUPS then you need to tell samba about it.
The option for the samba port to print via CUPS was added sometime
last year I think.  You had to define WITH_CUPS when making the samba
port.

Recently CUPS support was added to the samba port by default. You can
see the details in the PR ports/34683.

If you don't want the cups-base port installed with samba then you have
to define WITHOUT_CUPS when you make the samba port.

Personally I think the port should print a message telling people how to
not install CUPS. However, I believe cups-base does not override the base
printing system, so installing it solves some people's problems without
breaking anything else. I guess thats the reason why a message
was not considered necessary.

Still, it did confuse me for a moment when I upgraded samba the other day!

Greg