Date:      Thu, 09 Oct 2003 16:05:14 +0200
From:      rk47 <rk@nanoteq.co.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vtophys information.

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> rk47 <rk@nanoteq.co.za> writes:
>
>> Is there a simple example which uses the function vtophys.  Or a "normal"
>> example which uses the vtophys function in a simple way.  This would be
>> for driver development for FreeBSD 4.x.
>
> Luckily, you have the full source code for the system.

I think I'll wait till I have a more specific question?  :)

> Note, if relevant, that vtophys isn't the best way to handle a PCI
> device because of portability concerns; see the architectural handbook
> for details.
Are you referring to the part in 15.2.3 that says,

"This section is obsolete, and present only for historical reasons. The
proper methods for dealing with these issues is to use the bus_space_dma*()
functions instead. This paragraph can be removed when this section is
updated to reflect that usage. However, at the moment, the API is in a bit
of flux, so once that settles down, it would be good to update this section
to reflect that."

,or am I lost? Because I'm struggling  to find info on bus_space_dma*, and
also struggling to find source code using bus_space_dma* on base 4.x.

Thanx