Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 08:25:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        rfi@ws098.sandiegoca.ncr.com (Russell Ingram)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Automounter for FreeBSD & DNS question

In a previous message, Russell Ingram said:
> I've been integrating a FreeeBSD machine into our environment in my spare
> time. I'm using FreeBSD version 2.2.2. Everything has been working quite
> well I've only run into two issues:

You'd probably be smart to upgrade to 2.2.6 (Release or Stable).

> 	1. I can't find the equivalent to Sun's automounter on FreeBSD.
> 	   Is there one?

amd. It's a little different. I have a script that converts an auto_home
into a amd map.

> 	2. I'm using DNS. When I address a machine that's in the hosts file
> 	   I get a message on the console (as in this time I tried to do a
> 	   ping to ws098):
>
> 		Jan 24 14:31:28 rtss12 ping : gethostby*. gethostanswer: asked
> 		for "ws098", got"ws098.SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM"
>
> 	   the ping then works. If the machine is not in the hosts file I
> 	   get the same message on the console and the ping returns:
>
> 		ping: unknown host ws151
>
> 	   Is there some way to tell FreeBSD to ignore the domain added to
> 	   the machine name. The Suns and other unix machines don't exhibit
> 	   this behavior.

I guess I don't understand the problem. Are you saying that DNS is not
responding? Then you have a problem with either host.conf or resolv.conf.

By chance is ws098 an alias of ws098.SanDiegoCA.ncr.com? (IE does it appear
second or third while ws098.sandiegoca.ncr.com is first in the line in hosts?)

> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>

> 					Thanks
> 					Russell.Ingram@SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM

When MARRIAGE is illegal, only OUTLAWs will have INLAWS!