Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 19:17:37 -0500
From:      "justin" <jwpauler@jwpages.com>
To:        <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   USER PPP

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C00236.7AD8EC20

Hey fellas...

    Allright, here is the situation. I just had a second phone line =
installed in my house, a POTS (plain old telephone service) line. I have =
plugged it directly into my FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE workstation/server. I =
allready have PPP setup and when I execute it, it runs fine. Now then, =
what I would eventually like to do is have all of my windows based =
machines connect to this one and use it as a gateway for internet =
traffic. However, that will come later.

    What I would like to do right now, however, is guarantee that =
anytime, anyday, barring a problem with my ISP, that my box is connected =
to the internet. I have it currently setup to dial the internet when it =
boots and that seems, so far to work ok. My problem you ask? My ISP =
implements a 5 minute no transfer policy, they disconnect my connection =
after 5 minutes of 'idling'. What I would like to do is have some kind =
of check to verify if I am still connected to the internet and if not, =
execute it. I was thinking some type of script running from crontab =
every 5 minutes. If I am not connected, then automatically reconnect to =
the internet.

    Now there is another possible solution I cannot find an answer to. =
Is there a BSD option to 'keep-alive' the connection so I do not time =
out? I would prefer not to leave an X session opening refreshing CNN =
every five minutes :P

    Your help and/or scripts are welcome :)

Justin W. Pauler
JWPages Web Development
jwpauler@jwpages.com

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C00236.7AD8EC20

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hey fellas...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Allright, here is =
the situation.=20
I just had a second phone line installed in my house, a POTS (plain old=20
telephone service) line. I have plugged it directly into my FreeBSD =
4.1-STABLE=20
workstation/server. I allready have PPP setup and when I execute it, it =
runs=20
fine. Now then, what I would eventually like to do is have all of my =
windows=20
based machines connect to this one and use it as a gateway for internet =
traffic.=20
However, that will come later.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; What I would like to =
do right=20
now, however, is guarantee that anytime, anyday, barring a problem with =
my ISP,=20
that my box is connected to the internet. I have it currently setup to =
dial the=20
internet when it boots and that seems, so far to work ok.&nbsp;My =
problem you=20
ask? My ISP implements a 5 minute no transfer policy, they disconnect my =

connection after 5 minutes of 'idling'. What I would like to do is have =
some=20
kind of check to verify if I am still connected to the internet and if =
not,=20
execute it. I was thinking some type of script running from crontab =
every 5=20
minutes. If I am not connected, then automatically reconnect to the=20
internet.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Now there is another =
possible=20
solution I cannot find an answer to. Is there a BSD option to =
'keep-alive' the=20
connection so I do not time out? I would prefer not to leave an X =
session=20
opening refreshing CNN every five minutes :P</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Your help and/or =
scripts are=20
welcome :)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Justin W. Pauler</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>JWPages Web Development</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:jwpauler@jwpages.com">jwpauler@jwpages.com</A></FONT></DIV=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>