Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:10:29 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        John <papalia@udel.edu>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>, Antonio Bemfica <antonio@axolotl.ic.gc.ca>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /stand/sysinstall cannot find any disks ?

On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 07:00:41PM -0400, John wrote:

> > > I'm trying to add a new disk to my system via /stand/sysinstall, but as
> > > soon as I get started the following message pops us"
> > >
> > >       "No disks found! ..."
> > >
> > > I have only SCSI disks in this server and am running 4.1-stable. Below are
> > > the applicable portions from dmesg. The new disk is da1. Any help would be
> > > most appreciated.
> >
> >         This bit me a couple weeks ago.  You need to recompile your
> >         /stand/sysinstall because it sounds as tho you are using an
> >         *old* /stand/sysinstall.
>
> This bug has been biting me as well, only it's been me in 2.2.8, 3.0, 3.1,
> 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, and 4.0.  The date on my /stand/sysinstall is Jan 31, 2000,
> meaning that /stand/sysinstall has been modified during at least one of the
> installs.  This also makes me wonder why it's not built with every
> buildworld? (This I wonder since my last build & install was in June).
>
> I tried to rebuild /stand/sysinstall, and it's erroring.  Any
> suggestions?  Erros are below.

	[[ ... ]]

	Sorry, no ideas from here why the errors.  You may need to
	dig into the code or the build--Oh.  Be sure you have no
	*.o's anywhere before you rebuild.  In other words, move,
	gzip, or otherwise negate any miscellaneous object files.
	They may be causing some of this.  Otherwise, it's time
	to dig into the src code itself.

	gary

	PS:  I think you're right that /stand/sysinstall ought to
	     be rebuilt with each buildworld up-rev.  It would've
	     saved me 1 1/2 days of grief.

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix