Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:34:13 +0100
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Justin Stanford <jus@security.za.net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Old vmware2 installation and FreeBSD upgrade

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 08:57:01AM +0200, Justin Stanford wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was until recently running a 4.0-STABLE system with vmware2 happily
> installed and running.
>
> As one can imagine, once I upgraded to 4.2-STABLE, the first thing that
> happened was that the old vmmon and vmnet modules hung the kernel nicely
> as they where built back on my 4.0-STABLE machine - once those where
> removed the system booted fine. The question is, what is the easiest
> manner in which to just recreate those modules for the new kernel without
> recompiling and reinstalling the entire vmware2 port? Looking through the
> Makefile has just given me a headache ;-)

What's the problem with deleting/recompiling/reinstalling? I'm always doing
that after a FreeBSD upgrade, to ensure that modules are in sync. All of the
VMware configuration and virtual disks remains where it was installed,
since it is no part of the port and is not affected by pkg_delete. I never
had trouble starting old installations by a freshly compiled vmware.

Well yes, you have to answer a few questions about the network again, but
that's quite easy.

Karel.