Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 1995 11:02:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        archie@tribe.com (Archie Cobbs)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: lost+found?

>     2. What ever happened to "lost+found"? Do I need to do anything
>        special to create it (special inode number, etc)? How come it's
>        not created by the normal install process?  Or is there another
>        directory somewhere serving the same purpose?

The "lost+found" directory is created as necessary by fsck on the
(potentially bogus) assumption that there will be room for it.

The fsck code is cruddy in this regard, and you may need several fscks
to restore the FS to sanity.  This is a pretty trivial but annoying
bug.

There is code there to support creating the lost+found statically.  See
the newfs/fsck utility sources.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---