Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 09:56:35 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        "Michael J. Lu" <MJL@digicron.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FAT 32

 |Michael J. Lu:
 |>I recently bought a new system and I want to stick FreeBSD on it. The
 |>problem is, right now I'm running Wndows 98, and my HD is formatted for
 |>FAT32. What effect does that have on BSD?

Don't know for sure.  I've read list articles recently that says
3.0-current will read FAT32; earlier versions can't.

Also (since you'll need to shrink your FAT32 partition to make some space
for FreeBSD unless you get another hard disk) apparently only Partition
Magic will resize FAT32 partitions.  FIPS apparently doesn't yet.

 |>Also, can both Windows and BSD co-exist?

Yes.  See http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/multios/multios.html for some
details.  More can be found in the other tutorials and the handbook and FAQ
off of www.freebsd.org

Randall