Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 17:16:52 -0400
From:      Nathan Dorfman <nathan@fcc.net>
To:        Thede Loder <tlod@leverage.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proc disappeared, w, uptime, who malfunctioning

On Wed, Aug 19, 1998 at 02:08:26PM -0700, Thede Loder wrote:
> The system is back up and the utilities are now all functioning properly.

Great :)

> When I upgraded (2.2.6 -> 2.2.7),
> I did a "make world" for a 2.2.7-RELEASE /usr/src while running the 2.2.6
> kernel.  Once all the binaries had been rebuilt, I built the kernel.
> Should I do another make world, this time with the 2.2.7 kernel active?

When you update your source tree, you need to make world, then build
your new kernel with the newly build world in place. You don't need
to rebuild world after you build the kernel. Making world twice would
not be fun. The general procedure is

# cvsup /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile
# cd /usr/src && make world
# cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf && /usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL
# cd /usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERNEL && make depend kernel install

On -current, this occasionally requires considerably more effort :-)

--
  Nathan Dorfman  |  Frontline Communications Corporation
   nathan@fcc.net |     Pearl River, NY - 914-623-8559