Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 13:17:50 -0700
From:      ken keeler <kkeysler@nwlink.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ioctl error with xmcd

I've had problems when executing xmcd. When "pressing" the play button
on the display, the CD will start, then stop, concurrently I'm rewared
with a beep. If I make a second attempt, the CD will play. When starting
this process from xterm, the following message appears:

CD audio: ioctl error on /dev/rwcd0c: cmd=CDIOCPLAYMSF errno=5

This occurs only after "pressing" the play button the first time.

There is also a message on the console log:

wcd0: cannot read audio disc

The CDROM is a Matshita CR-585

wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <MATSHITA CR-585/ZS15>, removable, accel, dma,
iordis
wcd0: 4125Kb/sec, 128Kb cache, audio play, 256 volume levels, ejectable
tray
wcd0: 120mm audio disc loaded, unlocked

I've read the man page for ioctl, and made a search through the
/sys/sys/ioctl.h source code for CDIOCPLAYMSF and found nothing.
I'm pretty new to FreeBSD and don't know what else to try. It would seem
that the CD is configured corrctly, since it plays, but.....

What does the ioctl message tell me, and how do I troubleshoot such a
problem?

Thanks.

--

E=mc*c