Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 2016 10:12:38 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Shahin Hasanov <shahinhasanov@hotmail.com>, FREEBSD_QUESTION <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: There is problem during dump/restore.

On Tue, 5 Jan 2016, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On 05/01/2016 13:39, Shahin Hasanov wrote:
>> Thank you Matthew,
>> I have two HDD da0,da1
>> da0 is 147GB   - ufs
>> da1 is 1.1TB    - zfs
>
> Ah -- there is your problem.  dump/restore only works with UFS.

The description was confusing, but appeared to be restoring to a UFS
filesystem from a dumpfile saved on a ZFS filesystem.

I think (but have not tested) that restore should work on ZFS or other
filesystems if they support the same attributes, because restore writes
at the file level.

The target filesystem does not have to be empty, but if there are files
in it with the same names as those being restored, the -u option will
stop restore from complaining about them.  It does make the restore take
longer.