Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 09:20:39 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple kernels / module search path

Brooks Davis wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 10:09:44PM -0700, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > Question 4: Do we want /modules in the search for kernels with a
> > non-zero name so that the search path will be
> > /modules.NAME:/modules:/boot:/
>
> I agree with you except here (and you may be able to find a solution
> here.)  My problem with not doing this is that ports and third party
> software that creates modules (vmware, etc) needs a place to put them,
> and currently that's modules.  While you could put them in /boot, that
> seems ugly at best.  Otherwise, I like ideas very much.  I've been
> wanting to build and install my custom kernel and GENERIC in one fell
> swoop since {build|install}kernel was added.

The problem is with versioning. If I add 3rd party module foo.ko to
modules, while it actually is a module for kernel 'kernel.bar' *and*
kernel and kernel.bar are sufficiently incompatible, then kernel won't
boot (for example) if the module is loaded at boot time.

Or, if kernel.bar is booted and I want to load foo.ko, I might pick up
the version from /modules if I don't happen to have a foo.ko in
/modules.bar, which may be sufficiently incompatible and cause a kernel
panic.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org