Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:52:56 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Johan_Str=F6m?= <johan@stromnet.se>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        emj@emj.se
Subject:   Backup solution suggestions

Hello

I'm looking to invest in some new hardware for backup. probably some =20
kind of NAS (a 4-disk 1U NAS or something in that size). The thing is =20=

that I won't be the only one with access to this box, thus I would =20
like to secure my data.
What I would like is encryption both for the transfer to the box, and =20=

encrypted on disk. The data on disk should not be readable by anyone =20
but me (ie the other user(s) of the box should not be able to read =20
it, at least not without a big effort).

So, I'm wondering what the best solution might be.. Tar'balling all =20
my stuff and encrypt it with GPG or something and just dump it there =20
with NFS would be the easiest solution, but maybe not the best. I've =20
been thinking about running a GELI image on my box, and store that on =20=

the NAS over NFS.. would that be doable/secure/stable?
Another idea would be to go with some regular 1U box running some =20
FBSD, doing scp to the box and geli local on the box but that would =20
require me to have the encryption keys on that box (which would be =20
shared so thus no good idea).

Any other ideas? Being able to rsync to the backup storage instead of =20=

just sending big encrypted tarballs would be very nice (and I guess =20
that would be possible with geli version)

Maybe not the perfect list for this, but it is somewhat freebsd =20
specific and I'm sure some other ppl on the list have had simliar =20
situations :)

--
Johan Str=F6m
Stromnet