Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 23:26:50 -0500
From:      "Justin W. Pauler" <jwpauler@jwpages.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.1-RC Questions

	Just CVSup'd last night, July 20th, after a complete re-install from my
4.0-RELEASE CD's. I then CVSup'd and built/installed the world and proceded to
make me up a new kernel. Much to my surprise after I compiled everything, my
system, as it has done many times before, would not compile the kernel with
-ANY- USB devices what-so-ever. All that is in my kernel relating to USB is
the following four lines:

	device          uhci            # UHCI controller
	device          ohci            # OHCI controller
	device          usb             # Generic USB code
	device          ugen            # Generic USB device driver

	Now if I attempt to compile this kernel with the code in, I get the following
error when attempting to link the kernel:

	linking kernel
	usb_ethersubr.o: In function `usbintr':
	usb_ethersubr.o(.text+0x31): undefined reference to `ether_input'
	*** Error code 1
	Stop in /usr/src/sys/compile/PAULER.

	Therefore I am not able to compile any support for USB in my kernel at
all. I have found this problem for awhile now and have not been able to
correct it, even after a complete brand new CVS'up and reinstall. This is
frustrating as I have several devices I would like to run on my system:

	Dell XPS Pentium II 233 w/MMX
	96 MB RAM
	FreeBSD pauler.lgtch02.fais.net 4.1-RC FreeBSD 4.1-RC #0:
	Fri Jul 21 12:52:05 CDT 2000

	Also, has anyone gotten a HP Deskjet Printer to -successfully- work in
FreeBSD and X? I just received an HP Deskjet 610c, and after reading the
handbook and other guides off the internet, installing ifhp, ghostscript and a
mass of other utilities and filters, I can print from the console (plain text)
fine. However, when I print from say netscape in X, I just get a bunch of
postscript junk that my printer either can convert or doesn't understand. I
know it is not a problem with the printer, as it works fine in Windows =>

Justin W. Pauler