Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 10:45:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Robert S. Sciuk" <rob@ControlQ.com>
To:        Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freeloading FreeBSD for Free -- NOT!

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Jason Evans wrote:

 ... my stuff deleted ...

> Sun is in the process of doing exactly what you propose.  They currently
> have a MB/CPU with PCI (and a number of other things) for about $2900.
> This is a bit spendy still.  The next board they put out in the next few
> months will be much faster, and it will cost almost $1000 less.  This
> upcoming board will AFAIK have a comparable price/performance to P6-based
> boards.  As for SMP, that's still spendy, but don't expect it to stay that
> way forever.

	Great!

> As for Sun involvement in this project, there are two things to point out:
>
> 1) This project was started by a Sun employee (me), so claiming Sun
> shouldn't be involved is a bit strange. =)  Actually, if I understand your
> statement, you're saying that Sun would be stupid to put effort into
> porting FreeBSD without offering an affordable system to run it on.  Yes,
> that would be silly, but they're providing the goods.

	Jason, I made no such claims.  In fact, I appreciate more than I
	can reasonably express what such a corporate commitment means to
	this project in the long run.  I am _THRILLED_ to hear that they
	might be offering board level prodcuts that can be plied by s/w
	developers such as myself.  Moreover, I have NEVER referred to
	SMCC, SME, SunSoft or any of its affiliates, partners or clients
	as `stupid' -- Microsoft on the other hand ... well let's not go
	there 8-).

> 2) Sun must necessarily focus on ways to make money.  That means selling
> new processors.  Such is the way of a free economy.  It happens in this
> case that people stand to benefit in a major way (i.e. FreeBSD for the
> UltraSPARC).

	True --  as long as their motives are not mistaken for a pure
	altruistic betterment of planet kinda' thingy.  My concerns were
	more along the lines of -- if they do pull the plug will this
	effort die on the vine ... and I believe that your comments below
	address my concern -- thanks.

> Even if I weren't working for Sun, chances are that I would limit my
> initial efforts to the UltraSPARC, and perhaps the sun4m, just to keep the
> project scope reasonable.  Porting to the UltraSPARC is the hard part.  If
> people want to run FreeBSD on the sun4c, they will have lots to work with,
> between the UltraSPARC port and what has been done for NetBSD and OpenBSD.
>
> I should also mention that Ian Logan is planning to put some serious
> effort into making sun4m work under FreeBSD.  That doesn't take care of
> your IPX, but it does cover most machines still commonly used today.

	... more of my comments deleted ...

> I have contemplated scenarios where Sun might pull the plug.  There are
> certain risks, but you running FreeBSD on an IPX is hardly one of them. =)

	... relevent comments excised ...

Thanks Jason ... my concerns are alleviated.

Cheers,
rss
Robert S. Sciuk		1032 Howard Rd.			Ph:905 632-2466
Control-Q Research	Burlington, Ont. Canada		Fx:905 632-7417
rob@ControlQ.com	L7R 3X5				http://www.ControlQ.com