Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 09:55:19 -0800
From:      "Rob Snow" <rsnow@my-Deja.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Promise Ultra 66 and 4.0-RELEASE

I have just moved and am setting up a new home fileserver, an Epox MVP3G super7 board with a AMD K6-2 350 and a pair of Maxtor 30G 7200rpm 9ms 2MB cache drives on a Promise Ultra66 dual channel controller, each drive on it's own channel.

My initial test with bonnie (before vinum) showed block writes at 23MB/sec, didn't get the cpu util.  Now that I have them striped together I am only seeing 25MB/sec sequential write with over 90% CPU utilization.  I have a feeling that I have a problem with UDMA 66 as I feel I should get higher performance and lower CPU utilization.  I have rebuilt the kernel with the ATA_DMA option (or some such, got it from LINT).

Please advise on suggestions

P.S. I've just moved and changed ISP's, please copy this address until I get sorted and have re-subscribed to the lists.

Thanks,
Rob Snow